Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Aims, Conflicting Aims and the Eventual Resolution

I approached experiment 3 and my chosen location with some things concreted inside my head, aims for what I wanted the my architecture in Wied Il Ghasel to do and not to do. I wanted to respect the valley, to add to it and create something modern, yet nostalgic, that may be as respected as the ancient architecture already existing in the valley, I wanted to enhance the valley, creating some beautiful, and NOT garish or kitsch and I wanted to use more finesse and detail, then I have in my previous experiments. Perhaps also calling upon Classical architectural forms. Further on in the experiment I looked back and decided I was seriously missing something so I integrated the following into my aims: more respect for the nature and identity of the two clients, Facebook and CocaCola, rather then just the valley itself and a more thorough consideration of the assignment requirements, the elevator, the bridge, the meeting place and the dining table... As a whole I want to create an architecture of contrast. An architecture that is jarring, challenging, in terms of style. A pastiche of the variations in architecture over the thousands of years. Old and new. A postmodernism that calls upon its origins in classical architecture, fusing them in an amalgamation. A spectacular architecture, but one that is clever. An architecture of stone, yet simultaneously an architecture of steel and glass. A challenging comglomeration of order and disorder. Looking back upon my progress, despite the blur of all nighters... I feel that I am content with the results I have achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment